Backend Engineer, Erlang / Elixir
Location Flexible (Global)
We believe the future of skincare should be driven by data, powered by science, and made precisely for you. Revea is reinventing skincare to work for the diversity of our world. Using cutting edge diagnostics, biology, and machine learning, Revea empowers each user with deep skin health analytics and custom treatment formulations made precisely for their individual biology.
Based in San Francisco and Copenhagen, we are a world class team of repeat entrepreneurs, scientists, and skincare experts with over 50 years of skincare experience at companies like The Estee Lauder Co. and LEO Pharmaceuticals. We are well funded by investors who have backed some of the most iconic technology, consumer, and luxury brands.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced backend engineer to join our engineering and data science team as we build the leading personalized skincare brand and skin health data company. Revea starts with the consumer, and a first principles thinking. We map out the skin physiology of each consumer using state-of-the-art clinical imaging and sensors to then formulate a bespoke treatment for that consumer based on the relationship between biology and mode of action of the ingredients. We are doing this today in our San Francisco studio, and have accumulated one of the world’s largest and most comprehensive data sets on human skin physiology. We are now democratizing this experience by bringing our measurement and formulation capabilities into a mobile experience.
This role directly contributes to the future of product development, scale up, and technical architecture. The role will have a direct impact on projects, and the Company overall, by making fundamental decisions on frameworks, solutions, and tooling. You will be working on distributed systems and infrastructure spanning Google Cloud Platform, Shopify, Heroku and mobile frontends both web and native. In the role, you will work as part of the engineering team and partner closely with the data science team in delivering the end consumer experience and company objectives.
You will be working as part of an international team spanning multiple countries, languages, and time zones.
- Translate consumer and business requirements into technical specifications and solutions
- Evaluate and identify the tools, frameworks and architectures most appropriate for meeting the business and consumer needs
- Architect, implement and maintain backend infrastructure bridging mobile and machine learning areas, embedded systems and supply chain, and data warehousing
- Proactively identify, plan and complete tasks in an agile development environment
- Actively knowledge share and work with frontend, design and ML teams to produce robust and reliable consumer experiences
- Implement, review, test and debug, and document high-quality code
- Provide constructive feedback across the design, frontend, backend and ML regarding feasibility, cost and resourcing requirements on product development plans
- Take ownership of backend systems from concept and implementation to final production deployment
You are an experienced developer ready to take responsibility for implementation, delivery, and maintenance in a production setting with the following components of our dev and ops stack:
- Phoenix / Elixir / Erlang
- Elixir libraries: Flow / Broadway / Absinthe
- Heroku / Google cloud
- Git / GitHub Actions
- GraphQL / json API
You thrive in early stage startups and/or highly fluid and often ambiguous environments and are accustomed to the shifts in requirements that stem from iterative learning. You are ambitious and enjoy bringing amazing products into reality.
Professional & personal requirements
- 5+ years of experience in web development, of which 2+ is within the Erlang/Elixir language
- Previous experience as a team lead
- Ability to breakdown complex goals into concrete and manageable tasks
- Fluent English is a must both in speaking and written
- Ability to be candid and outspoken
- Strong individual responsibility to take decision and follow through with responsibilities
- Skilled at connecting your technical solutions with UX designs and ML pipelines to deliver amazing end consumer experience
- Experience with event based architectures
- Devops experience a plus
- Highly effective in distributed teams and remote setup
Future Career Development Opportunities
We are transforming an $1.5T consumer wellness industry. The opportunity for growth is nearly limitless. As a small, high-powered team you will continually have opportunities to take on new challenges and expanded your skill set and experiences. We expect a successful candidate to grow and scale with the company.