Data Scientist / Computer Vision Engineer
Location: Flexible (Global); Denmark / US preferred
We believe the future of skincare should be driven by data, powered by science, and made precisely for you. Revea is reinventing skincare to work for the diversity of our world. Using cutting edge diagnostics, biology, and machine learning, Revea empowers each user with deep skin health analytics and custom treatment formulations made precisely for their individual biology.
Based in San Francisco and Copenhagen, we are a world class team of repeat entrepreneurs, scientists, and skincare experts with over 50 years of skincare experience at companies like The Estee Lauder Co. and LEO Pharmaceuticals. We are well funded by investors who have backed some of the most iconic technology, consumer, and luxury brands.
About the Role
We are seeking a data scientist / computer vision expert with experience in mobile image capture and analysis to join our engineering and data science team as we build the leading personalized skincare brand and skin health data company. Revea starts with the consumer, and a first principles thinking. We map out the skin physiology of each consumer using state-of-the-art clinical imaging and sensors to then formulate a bespoke treatment for that consumer based on the relationship between biology and mode of action of the ingredients. We are doing this today in our San Francisco studio, and have accumulated one of the world’s largest and most comprehensive data sets on human skin physiology. We are now democratizing this experience by bringing our measurement and formulation capabilities into a mobile experience.
- Translate consumer and business requirements into relevant machine learning pipelines
- Evaluate and identify best ML approaches and deployment architectures for meeting the business and consumer needs
- Research, implement and productize ML solutions across both frontend and backend systems. Both consumer facing and internal.
- Proactively identify, plan and complete tasks in an agile development environment.
- Implement, review, test and debug, and document high-quality code
- Provide constructive feedback across the design, frontend, backend and ML regarding feasibility and resourcing on product development plans
- Take ownership of core ML pipelines from concept and implementation to final production deployment
You are an experienced ML scientist / engineer ready to take responsibility for business critical ML solutions from conception to final delivery. You have experience in image analysis using both standard CV methods and deep learning architectures and prior work/understanding within dermatology, biology, and/or health related fields is a plus. You have previous experience working in a production environment with the following:
- Image processing, analysis and segmentation
- Python, scikit-learn, opencv, tensorflow / keras, pytorch
- CNNs for segmentation, reconstruction (pix2pix), auto-encoders and multiclass models
- GCP infrastructure, automated build tools and containerized applications
- Git / Github actions
- Statistical analyses of time series data, and sparse data
Professional and personal requirements
- You have a master or Ph.D in a machine learning related field, applied statistics, or similar
- 2+ years of experience working with deep learning and image analysis
- Experience with Bayesian statistics in N-of-1 trial settings is a plus
- Ability to break down complex goals into concrete and manageable tasks
- Fluent English is a must, both in speaking and writing, the same is your ability to be candid and outspoken
- Strong individual responsibility to take decisions and and follow through
- Thriving in a cross-functional team, with the ability to communicate deeply technical topics in layman terms
- Skilled at translating ML models into consumer insights and visualizations
- Experience in working with mobile image capture, color constancy, calibration and illumination issues
- Fast learner and a can do mentality who thrive on solving complex problems
You thrive in an early stage environment and are comfortable with ambiguity and solving challenging, complex problems. You are competitive and want to work with highly talented teammates. If you join us you will be part of reinventing a massive industry and helping millions of consumers finally understand and take control of their skin.
This role reports directly to CTO, and co-founder, Troels Marstrand and works as part of a global team of engineers, Ph.Ds, data scientists, biologists and chemists. Our team is still small so your decisions will impact our future significantly, and you should expect to be outspoken and candid.